Welcome to the Old Paulite Association (Europe) website
(We are on TWITTER @oldpaulites)
Members of the Old Paulite Community will know our much respected friend and colleague, Joe Hammond (ex Hon. President and ex Hon. Secretary of the Old Paulite Association (Europe)) passed away suddenly on Tuesday 21st July. Joe is survived by his wife, Jill and her family: daughter Sheila, son Charles and his wife Zarina, and grandchildren Sasha and Ben.
Joe’s funeral will be held on Tuesday 11th August at 12.15 p.m. (BST), 11.15 a.m. (GMT). In view of the necessary covid-19 precautions, the funeral must be restricted to his immediate family only. You might wish to pause for a minute or two to remember Joe at the that time. This restriction will prevent many Old Paulite friends, his colleagues in the University of Southampton, and many local friends and neighbours from attending and paying their respects.
Jill wishes to assure us all that she and her family fully recognise the importance of these groups in Joe’s life and they will ensure the memory of his absent friends will be fully represented in a suitable way at the funeral.
Jill requests family flowers only. If people wish they might buy some flowers of their choice and place them in a vase at home (Jill talking!), or buy a bottle of wine and enjoy it (Joe talking!). Alternatively they might care to make a donation to a charity of their own choice in happy memory of Joe.
Jill, Sheila and Charles also wish to thank all who have written to them for their letters and cards. They might not be able to thank everyone in person, especially as in many cases Jill does not know their address.
When and if future conditions allow, Jill hopes to celebrate Joe’s life and love of St Paul’s, and all things Paulite, with Old Paulite friends at a suitable get-together sometime in the future.
Whilst this reflects the activities, reflections and opinions of Europe-based Old Paulites, we look forward to this being a meeting point of all Paulites, new and old, and to being a forum for exchange of memories and ideas.
WHAT DO OUR BADGE AND MOTTO MEAN?? Click here...
PLEASE UPDATE YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS (see page bottom)
VIEW THE SECRETARY'S PAGE here
The OPA (Europe) Newsletter (ed. @KenPearce) IS ONLINE - please view for interesting articles and bits of SPS history.
Where are we heading?? Ken Pearce writes on "The Way Forward"...
Read the minutes on the meeting on "The Way Forward" held during the Paulite Forever event here.
Read "DARING TO BE DIFFERENT" a thought-provoking view of the future
- To foster an attachment for St Paul’s School, Darjeeling and in so doing aim to contribute towards Indo-British cultural development.
- To foster bonds of union and friendship amongst members of the Association and those eligible for membership, in the UK, Europe, India, and worldwide.
- To promote co-operation and awareness of the existence of The Association in the UK and elsewhere, the Old Paulite Association in Kolkata, and the students in the school.
What we offer
In pursuance of these objectives the OPA(E) shall try to:
- Encourage students of the school who may wish to pursue their studies or careers in the United Kingdom to contact the Association for possible advice and help, as necessary.
- Maintain close and cordial contact with The Old Paulite Association in Kolkata, encouraging members of the Association visiting India to contact the Kolkata Association to participate in their activities as appropriate.
- Organise suitable social, cultural, fund raising, or recreational activities for the enjoyment of members in the United Kingdom.
Who we are
The OPA (E) Committee:
|BP Bhattacharya||Committee Member|
|Arup Kar||Committee Member|
|Yusuf Siddiqui||Committee Member|
|Zarir Cama||Committee Member|
|Naresh Kulisra||Committee Member|
|Arindam Chaudhuri||Committee Member|
How we work
The OPA(E) committee meet regularly, supported generously by BP Bhattacharya. OPA (E) members regularly visit Darjeeling and keep abreast of events, and have recently been working on strengthening links with Old Paulite associations in other countries.
£30 PER ANNUM; renewable April 1st.
The membership renewal form can be downloaded from the link below.